Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Pandering Democrats Can Suck My Butt

from : www.tinycatpants.blogspot.com

Okay, y'all (and by "y'all" I mean the Democratic party leadership), right now you need to decide that you're going to support gay rights. Not as some after-thought, not as some bone you throw the base to keep them in line, but as a deep and heartfelt conviction.

Why?

Because Republicans can change their minds. http://pandagon.net/2006/01/24/laurel-hesters-lasting-impact-on-gay-rights/

Mark Seda can stand in front of his colleagues and his community and say:

Like many other people around the world, I've been learning a great deal recently about the issue of Domestic Partner rights that has placed Ocean County front and center on the world's stage through the incredibly courageous story of Ocean County's own hometown hero, Lt. Laurel Hester of the Ocean County Prosecutor's Office.


From what I can see, I'm only one of millions who's been touched in a very big way by Lt. Hester's story. If it weren't for Lt Hester's heart-wrenching story, I would probably not have paid much attention to this issue. Her dignity and the incredible bravery she's displayed at the end of her life in wanting to change the world has inspired me to realize that as an elected official I should be standing by her side.


I've been approached by a lot of people in Jackson and elsewhere about this issue. I was very pleased to learn that the overwhelming majority of them agree with me that this is an important civil rights issue; an issue that as Americans we all have to address. To me, it seems like it's nothing other than a very simple matter of fundamental fairness and Equal Rights for All Americans. If it weren't for Lt Hester's heart-wrenching story, I would probably not have paid much attention to this issue. But now I have, and I'm alarmed to learn of the loop holes New Jersey law dealing with Domestic Partnership Rights. I've found there are a lot of gaps in existing state laws that have been created in recent years and quite frankly in my estimation need to be closed.


And the committee then UNANIMOUSLY votes to extend domestic partnership benefits to the township's employees. Do you see what I'm saying?

The change is coming. In some segments of the population (especially among young people) it's already here. Most people in America do not give a shit that people are gay and they support extending legal protections to gay couples.

Here's a Republican talking about gay people and civil rights and HOW GAY PEOPLE NEED THOSE CIVIL RIGHTS.

Democrats, if I could blast a siren right now to get your attention, I would. Because here's what's happening, right now, in the country you seem determined to continue to grow irrelevant in, Republicans are coming around. Folks like Seda realize that people they care about and admire are gay and want to act in a caring and loving manner towards them.

That's trouble enough for you.

But now Republicans who want to do right by gays aren't ashamed to say so. Not only that, they're meeting no resistance.

If you can't scare gays into staying in the party for fear of being forced back in the closet, you'd damn well better start caring about them more than the Republicans do.

You're pandering to a middle that doesn't exist. Stop it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home